This is definitely an idea to import into Estonian domestic football. However, Tammeka Tartu, as usual, are ahead since one of their players (Tauno Tekko) is sponsored by a similar business.
The idea comes from Ireland and it is being implemented in other clubs both in Ireland and Great Britain, especially at mid and lower tiers.
The idea is simple. You have a business? You want to advertise and you are a fan of the town club? Fine, all you have to do is to pay a certain amount of money (in case of Sligo Rovers, 300€) and your name will appear alongside the player’s name.
The package offered by Sander Puri’s new club is quite extensive:
• sponsor's name in the matchday programme for the season alongside a player’s picture and biography;
• a framed autographed colour photograph of sponsor with chosen player;
• sponsor's photograph will appear in the local press;
• a signed jersey by the chosen player at the end of the season;
• two complimentary tickets to a league game of your choice where you will meet your player.
The one to purchase the package for Sander Puri was ‘The Snug Bar’, a popular pub in Sligo (see their Facebook page).
The pub was particularly delighted at Sander’s signing as they welcomed the Estonian international with a ‘Great signing’ post on their timeline.
Since the ‘sponsor your player’ campaign was launched, they did not waste time and ‘signed’ Sander.